About Me

My photo
Trying to remember that there is always a reason, always something that makes you smile during the day- recognizing the event, person or situation that made you smile will make your day seem that much better.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day 18: Your views on gay marriage

I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to make a life long commitment to someone they love.  It shouldn't matter what sex their partner is. I don't believe that marriage should be something that is recognized by the government- regardless of the sexual orientation of the couple.  Marriage- is recognized byt he church as one of the holy seven sacraments and this country was founded on the separation of church and state.  I believe that the government should recognize civil unions for all people who wish them- again regardless of sexual orientation.  I am of the belief that you don't choose to be homosexual any more than you have the choice to be heterosexual and why should it make  a difference who I am choosing to sleep with- as long as the relationship is between two consenting adults.  I find the arguments that the "gays" will ruin the moral fiber of this country to be embarrassing when I hear them.  Over fifty percent of the marriages in this country end in divorce. Abuse, degradation and humiliation happen in marriages at an alarming rate- and those marriages that are the 'moral' fiber of this country are between heterosexual individuals.  If a church chooses to not recognize the sacrament of marriage between two men or two women and believe that there are teachings in their books that are written by humans then so be it- I don't have to agree with it and I don't choose to worship there.  Our government has chosen to discriminate against individuals- not for a choice they have made- but because of something that is in the very fiber of their being.  I have celebrated the union of many individuals who choose to get married, choose to commit to one person for their entire lives- and it doesn't matter to me who is standing up there and what sex they are- the happiness shines through and I, for one, raise my glass and toast to anyone who wants to share publicly that they are making that commitment.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more, Col. Being gay is not a lifestyle choice, even is some people choose to think so. I genuinely believe that it is born in you, and, as you say, look at the abuse that sometimes goes on in heterosexual marriages. I, also, would be pleased to raise my glass to anyone who wants to make that commitment to another person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Nic...I basically said the same thing when I did the challenge. I'd love to ask the pope to do a survey of priests who became priests because they were gay and didn't want to deal with it. After all those priests who molested boys obviously were!! It's so ridiculous to me. I'm sure that in the last hundred years there were hundreds of them.

    ReplyDelete