About Me

My photo
Trying to remember that there is always a reason, always something that makes you smile during the day- recognizing the event, person or situation that made you smile will make your day seem that much better.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Counting the good

It's snowing outside as we speak.  There is snow covering the grass, my driveway and it is freezing.  There are people who have no where to go and are outside trying to find a place to stay warm and I am warm and cuddled up with my kitties under a blanket in my house.
My outside cat , who we have named Jasmine, is doing well.  She came out, hobbled around for a bit tonight and then went back into the room and snuggled up in her bed and went to sleep.  I am grateful that I had the ability to take care of her this weekend and didn't have to ignore the fact that she was hurting.
There are children who have to go without every single day of the year.  Children who are in deplorable conditions and have no hope.  I have seen these kids, on the other side of those conditions, and know that in some small way I have been able to restore hope to some of them.
I may not always love it, but I have a good job,  A job that not only pays the bills but is allowing me to continue my education.
I have a reliable car that I have never had to sleep in because I don't have another place to go.
I have a loving husband, who despite knowing about my past, loves me anyway and will always be there when I wake up from the nightmares
My family is hours away, but I talked to my dad tonight who just got home from a business trip in France and got to hear him tell me all about the mountains and the snow.
I may not always want to pick up the phone, but every Thursday I do and I call my grandparents.  We talk for at least an hour, but I know that won't last forever so I cherish the time I have now.
I may not always be happy.  I get cranky, sad, depressed, angry and fed up with how things are going, but I am still  here- there was a time that I wasn't sure that was going to be the case.  There was a time that I was prepared to say goodbye if the disease ravaged my insides.
I am not perfect.  I have good days and bad, I have ups and downs, I cry a lot, I laugh even more.  I am not afraid to say that I love you and really, truly mean it- there is rarely a phone conversation I have with someone in my family or my friends that I don't tell them- my hubby never leaves the house and I rarely hang up the phone with out saying it.
My cup runneth over with blessings.

6 comments:

  1. All we have to do is look around and even close to us there are people who are sooooooo much worse off than we are. We truly are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post sweetie. Wish more people would see what they "have".

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen! you hit the nail on the head with so many of your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed that post, Col, and you are so right. We are, indeed, very blessed. I love it that you speak to your grandparents every week. I can imagine just how much that means to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post....reminds me of all the blessings we have in life...sometimes, we tend to overlook these important things and people but posts as these will definitely help us remember... :)

    ReplyDelete