About Me

My photo
Trying to remember that there is always a reason, always something that makes you smile during the day- recognizing the event, person or situation that made you smile will make your day seem that much better.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 17: A book or something I have read that has changed my life

I love to read- I love to get lost in a world created by an author.  I read a great variety of books.  I am not sure that there is one particular book that I can pinpoint that has changed my life.  When I found out that I was sick, I turned to books to read how other people coped with cancer.  I read everything that I could get my hands on- books, blogs, articles.  I found myself connecting with people that I never met- reading their stories- looking to books for advice.  These books were my lifeline- I remember trying to stay strong for everyone around me and having all these emotions and thoughts that I couldn't say out loud because I couldn't let people see that I was feeling helpless.  Those books, the ones that people wrote about their real feelings, their thoughts, those books were like friends to me during that time.  I remember my mom asking me about how I was feeling at one point and I picked up the book that I was reading and I read to her the passage out of the book that described it.  I would send out a list to my friends and family of the books that I was reading and that were helping me.  Those books changed my life, gave me hope

3 comments:

  1. There haven't been too many books for me but 3 come to mind. First and formost is my bible that helps me with whatever touches my life. The Shack is an awesome book that gives one persons vision of what heaven and God is like and made me really think about how I pictured spiritual parts of my life. Lastly "Eat Right for Your Type" started me on a life style change that I believe has helped me in a lot of ways not eating things that are not right for my blood type. I feel better, have better blood pressure and cannot remember the last time I had a cold. I would highly recommend it.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you had something to give you hope Col, at what must have been an awful time for you. How are you right now? Sending a big (((hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same way with my husband when he had his heart attack. I read a ton of books that they helped me tremendously. Thank God for these books! So glad you found them Nic. Hope all is really well with your health now! Huggs

    ReplyDelete