About Me

My photo
Trying to remember that there is always a reason, always something that makes you smile during the day- recognizing the event, person or situation that made you smile will make your day seem that much better.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Date Night

This week it seems I have used the phrase date night a lot. My hubby and I like to go out. We have dinner or go grocery shopping or just go to pick something up or even for a ride. I have been reflecting a lot on our relationship lately....it is very interesting what you come up with when you think about the person you've been with for ten years and the cycles and ups and downs and round abouts you've gone through...
He is so many things to me- my best friend, confidante, lover, sounding board.
He knows everything about me- the good, the bad and the ugly. He knows how to push the right buttons at the right time. We can fight (which really I love)...I mean fight...yell scream get mad walk away regroup and come back together. We rarely stay mad at each other very long. I have friends who never fight with their significant other...and that works for them...it wouldn't work for me or him....because often the fights are a result of something deeper that we don't want to say (we are both EXTREMELY stubborn people) and so by pushing those buttons things get out in the open and talked about. He knows when all i want to do is cry and how to look at me and make me stop moving so I can get it out....
He sings these silly silly songs when he is doing things.....not anything that anyone has every heard of, but he sings what is going through his head- like he was just singing on his way up to bed.
He is the reason I smile....a quick text that just reads Hi because we haven't talked all day...the "honey I'm home" comments when he walks through the door, the silly singing, the way he can hold my hand or wrap his arm around me and make me feel completely safe, protected and taken care of. He stands behind me 100%. He is my biggest cheerleader but isn't afraid to tell me when I am doing something wrong or over reacting. He is my world and I don't know what I would do if he wasn't here.....I never wanted to be that person when we first got married. We definitely did our own stuff...which was fine then, but this other stage of our relationship, the one where it is more important to be home with each other, chillin' on the couch, watching movies, or working on the house, whatever as long as we are together....I could get used to this stage...
I don't really know what is possessing me to write all of this down tonight....but I looked at him over dinner as I handed him part of my dinner that I didn't like at the same time as he was setting something on my plate and thought that I must be one of the luckiest people in the entire world.....to have someone who the faintest thought of makes me smile...and knew that I needed to write it down.

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet :)
    Exactly how I feel about my Ray.
    We don't really fight... I mean we've HAD fights in the past... but it's so rare that when our son is gone we yell at each other and call each other names just for fun LOL :)
    Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete