About Me

My photo
Trying to remember that there is always a reason, always something that makes you smile during the day- recognizing the event, person or situation that made you smile will make your day seem that much better.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Conversations

I commute about 40 minutes to work every day. It's a long drive, but allows me to talk (on a handsfree headset) to several members of my family. It has become a tradition that I call my dad and my aunt in the morning and my mom, sister, sister in law in the afternoon. My dad has been in China and India for a few weeks and we haven't had our morning conversation. I talked to him last night to make sure he made it home safely but the conversation just isn't the same as it is when we are both driving to work in the morning. So this morning I called him and we caught up on everything going on in our lives. He gives me career advice in the mornings, we talk about just about everything. This morning we finally had a chance to talk about my grandfather and how he was doing...which was good. Like many people, my dad and I don't always see eye to eye when we are together. My parents live about 8 hours from here and I don't get to see them very often, but this connection that I maintain with my dad in the mornings is vital to our relationship. The past few weeks have been tough not having the option to call him and talk about whatever is on my mind at 6am. My routine was interupted and the day just didn't seem to start on the right foot. Today, I was able to have the conversation with my dad, and the day has started off the way it's supposed to.

1 comment:

  1. This is nice. I understand what you mean. I have to talk to my beloved MIL every morning for our "fix" heehee - because the day just can't start without it. I can't talk to my mom much because of her breathing condition but she tries to call when she feels as tho' she can talk for a few minutes.
    My dad? I miss him so much - he was never one to talk on the phone and if I did call him he would always ask "What's the problem" - there never was but he knew that I didn't call him all that often b/c he hated the phone. But I still miss his goodbye - I always would sign off with "I love you Dad" and he would always say "Talk to you later." Which was his way of saying he loved me too [he had a hard time telling me he loved me, but I knew he did.] I wish I could pick up the phone one more time and here "What's the problem" and "Talk to you later." just once.
    Now you made me cry. heehee. Thanks. :P j/k

    ReplyDelete